The Fastest and Safest method to connect two computers together is by using the crossover cable. You can then transfer files and data from one computer to another.
Here is a Detail Tutorial about Connecting Two PCs Using Crossover Cable.
Basic Requirement For Connection
- Two computers must have a network card installed on them.
- Crossover cable (Yellow Cat 5 Cable, you can get it from a local computer shop).
Cat 5 Cable
The Procedure For Connecting The PCs Is Given Below
- First make sure both computers are switched off.
- Connect one end of the crossover cable in the network card of computer 1 and the other end in network card of computer 2.
- Now turn on both the computers.
- Log-in on both the computers using your user name and password and wait until windows is loaded.
- Now with the right mouse button, Click on My Computer ->Properties
- Click on Computer Name Tab and see the Workgroup Name Listed On Computer 1 (Usually MYHOME)
- Now On Computer 2 we have to change the workgroup name similar to that of Computer 1 i.e MYHOME.
- On Computer 2 Click on the change button
- Type the same workgroup name as listed in Computer 1 i.e MYHOME
- Restart both the computers and after that they will be in the same workgroup i.e MYHOME.(Make Sure that they are in same workgroup by identifying the workgroup name)
- With the right mouse button click on ‘Windows (C:)’ or ‘Local Disk (C:) in My Computer and click on sharing and security.
- Now Click on the link that says ‘If you understand the risk but still want to share the root of the drive, click here’
- After that Click on the link that says ‘If you understand the security risks but want to share files without running the wizard, click here’.
- Now Select ‘Just enable file sharing’.
- Now Select the checkboxes that says ‘Share this folder on the network’ and ‘Allow network users to change my files’. The hard drive name will be the default share name.
- A dialog box with ‘Setting Folder Permissions’ will appear.
- Now a hand will appear holding the hard disk drive, indicating that it is now shared.
- Now to view the other computer on your network go to control panel -> Network Connections->My Network Places ->View Workgroup Computers on the left side of the screen.